NEW FACULTY LEARNING COMMUNITY
The ADVANCE Faculty Affairs and Diversity Office is excited to welcome our new faculty into the UNC Charlotte faculty community. We would like to stress the importance of professional development programming for all faculty at our institution, but particularly for our new faculty. With this in mind, we offer and very much hope you will participate in our New Faculty Learning Community Programming. The program, which was originally developed in 2009 under the name New Faculty Transitions, uses a proactive approach to quickly and thoroughly integrate new faculty into the campus community. The goals of the program are to:
- Welcome new faculty members and underscore their importance within the University community.
- Orient new faculty to the University’s culture.
- Develop a lasting cross-discipline, cross-college collegiality within the new faculty cohort to complement that established within the department.
- Expose new faculty to the University’s expectations on scholarship, teaching and service.
- Provide a clear and unequivocal understanding of the expectations of the University for faculty.
- Establish a network for faculty who are new to UNC Charlotte.
- Establish the practice of regular participation in professional development programming.
Each year, new faculty gather for sessions that include a welcome orientation/open forum, presentations from the Center for Teaching and Learning, The Atkins Library, the Writing Resource Center, The Office of Proposal Development. Workshops on Plagiarism, and the Reappointment, Promotion and Tenure process are also offered among other topics. The series ends with a closing gathering to reflect on the first year.
ADVANCE FADO looks forward to helping you to integrate into our vibrant campus community. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further clarification or information on our New Faculty Learning Community Programming, or any other matter related to your career development at UNC Charlotte. Our email address is: email@example.com and the Office Extension is 7 – 5112.
2023 – 24 New Faculty Learning Community
- This year, the learning portion of New Faculty Learning Community will take place online. Presenters will post presentations, which will be available to download from the CANVAS New Faculty Learning Community Course. If you have any questions after viewing the presentations, please email the presenter.
- The community building will take the form of informal get-togethers once a month, where new faculty will have the opportunity to meet and network with their other new faculty colleagues and also have discussion around a certain topic.
- SPRING 2024 dates for New Faculty Networking Events
- JAN 19, 2024, FRI. 1-2:20 pm. Discussion regarding Annual Reviews.
- FEB 20, 2024 TUE. 1:30-2:50 pm
- MAR 18, MON. 1-2:20 pm
- APR 16, 2024, TUE. 1-2:20 pm
- MAY 6, 2024, MON. 12-2 pm
Please sign up for Networking Events at: https://forms.gle/e5eFLDfzDdnzaYyi6
- Participation in this New Faculty Professional Development Program counts as service for new faculty in most colleges.
You can also retrieve all this information on the CANVAS website