RESOURCES FOR NEW FACULTY
Welcome to UNC Charlotte!!
These web pages were created especially for our new faculty members. You will find links and information pertinent to teaching and research, as well as links to familiarize you with the policies and services available at UNC Charlotte.
Don’t forget to scroll down the menu on the left hand side of the page under Resources for New Faculty to find even more useful resources!
In particular, please click on Before You Arrive on Campus, which explains everything you are required to complete BEFORE you arrive on campus, and also The Provost’s 2023 New Faculty Orientation, which New Faculty are REQUIRED to attend. Information about the Orientation, and programming specifically developed for New Faculty for the rest of your first week will be provided soon.
For your convenience, a copy of the (very long!) email you received in July from the Provost and Dr. Huet welcoming you to UNC Charlotte can be found by clicking on the links below:
New Faculty Activities Scheduled for the First Week on Campus
- On Monday, August 14, there is an in-person Community Engagement Orientation. More information should arrive to you from urbanCORE’s Community Partnerships team.
- On Tuesday, August 15, the ADVANCE Faculty Affairs and Diversity Office hosts New Faculty Orientation from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. in the Student Union 3 rd Flor. New Faculty are required to attend
- On Wednesday, August 16, the New Faculty Benefits Orientation will take place from 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. in person. This Orientation will offer information about benefits, including insurance and retirement, and you should receive information directly from the Human Resources Department regarding this orientation.
- On Thursday, August 17, the Chancellor will host University Convocation, which allows the university community to kick off the academic year and hear more about UNC Charlotte’s long-term goals and immediate plans and issues. All faculty will receive more information regarding this year’s University Convocation.
- Finally, Friday, August 18 is set aside as the day for college and departmental programming. Please look for information from your units regarding these events.
RESOURCES FOR FALL 2023
We understand that you may be feeling anxious about your transition to UNC Charlotte as we move into new phases of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Knowledge is the best weapon to mitigate some of these anxieties, so you can find resources related to UNC Charlotte’s ongoing COVID-19 response and return to campus on our Niner Nation Cares Website and on our Emergency Management Website
New Employee Orientation Guide. Please note this is not specific to new faculty.
Enrollment in the University’s direct deposit program is mandatory for all University employees.
If you are new to the Charlotte area, click on On the Town to discover some interesting things to do in and around town.
INFORMATION ABOUT REAPPOINTMENT, PROMOTION AND TENURE
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Guide to Evaluation – it includes the RPT Workshop Powerpoint, CV Guides and Templates, Sample CVs and Personal Statements.
Be aware that EACH COLLEGE HAS ITS OWN SET OF GUIDELINES FOR RPT, so check your own college website for college-specific information.
Christine Tulley gives advice on developing a cohesive narrative in your tenure and promotion dossier
GENERAL RESOURCES FOR NEW FACULTY FOCUSED ON HOW TO THRIVE IN YOUR FIRST FEW YEARS AT UNC CHARLOTTE
Some advice for Surviving your First Year on the Tenure Track
Early Career Resources from the University of Iowa. Although some links are specific to the University of Iowa, there are numerous links to more general resources to help new faculty succeed.
As we continually try to improve on our efforts to better serve new faculty members, please let us know how we can enhance our welcome even more next year.