UNC Charlotte ADVANCE partners with The Council on University Community, The Office of Academic Budget and Personnel, Human Resources and The Office of Legal Affairs to lead Best Practices for Inclusive Faculty Recruitment Training. These workshops are designed to help faculty search committees share best practices to use in their searches, taking into consideration diversity strategies, so departments can conduct fair, inclusive, and effective searches, consistent with university and department goals.
In a survey of attendees of the face-to-face session, 84% who responded said they became more aware of potential bias in the search process.
Inclusive Recruitment Training is a two part process, and is required of all faculty on a search committee:
The first part is an on-line session in Canvas, which covers forms, processes and other details. Search committee members will complete this on-line session each academic year they serve on a search committee. Faculty can complete this session at their own pace, at a time they choose. There is a short quiz after the session, which faculty must take and receive a score of at least 70% before they have completed the on-line section of the training.
The second part is the face-to-face session, which search committee members are required to have completed within the past five years PRIOR to their service on a search committee.
Best Practices for Inclusive Faculty Recruitment IN-Person WORKSHOP REGISTRATION
PLEASE NOTE - IN ORDER TO REGISTER, YOU MUST BE SIGNED INTO YOUR GOOGLE ACCOUNT WITH YOUR UNCC EMAIL
To determine which email account you are logged into your google drive with, hover the cursor in the top right hand corner of your My Drive page over your photo (see below), and a drop down will tell you what email account you are logged into your google drive with
You must be logged into your google drive with your uncc email to be able to register for the recruitment workshops
Fall 2021 BEST PRACTICES FOR INCLUSIVE FACULTY RECRUITMENT WORKSHOPS
- Wednesday, September 8, 2021 2:30 – 4:30pm
- Monday, October 4, 2021 10am – 12pm
- Tuesday, November 9, 2021 12:30 – 2:30pm
- Friday, December 3, 2021 1:30 – 3:30pm
- Friday, August 6⋅1:00 – 3:00pm. https://uncc.zoom.us/j/99388925775?pwd=cmFDOGpMNU5pZDdpeEg4SmtPVU9uQT09
- CANCELLED: Friday, July 9, 2021 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. Virtual: Zoom Link: https://uncc.zoom.us/j/95954474359
- Monday, June 14, 2021 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. Virtual: Zoom Link: https://uncc.zoom.us/j/91547130053?pwd=NkJ4dzJMdWFkNjQ4d2RWbEs0SjlhZz09
ONLINE Training: BEST PRACTICES FOR INCLUSIVE FACULTY RECRUITMENT
New content has been added to the on-line training module, which is available on Canvas
One aspect of best practices is ensuring that diversity language is featured in job ads. Language is one element that can contribute to attracting a diverse pool of qualified candidates. Such language can include:
- Experience with a variety of teaching methods and/or curricular perspectives
- Previous experience interacting with communities of color or diverse student groups
- Experience in cultures other than their own
- Academic experiences and interests in culturally diverse groups
- Interest in developing and implementing curricula that address multicultural issues